When it comes to choosing the right high-end golf apparel for your game, it’s important to understand what is considered to be proper attire on the course. From etiquette to weather to performance, we’ll break down why golf courses have dress codes and the essential attire that both men and women should have in their golf wardrobe.
Do Golf Courses Have Dress Codes?
While not all courses have dress codes, the majority of them do. According to Gentleman’s Gazette, golf began in rainy Scotland—tweed suits were paired with high, exposed woolen socks, and thick-soled leather shoes. This specialized clothing and the time needed to play categorized golf as an upper-class sport. Golf attire evolved as it traveled to different countries, and it’s now more affordable and accessible than ever.
Today, most luxury golf clothing is designed to be functional and fashionable, but it really depends on the brand. According to liveaboutdotcom, dress codes vary in strictness depending on the policies of the particular golf course that you are playing at, and you can usually tell by the price of the course—the higher the fees, the more likely it is that there will be a strict dress code. We suggest inquiring about a dress code before you arrive so that you can plan ahead.
Generally, Dockers-style shorts for men and golf skirts for women will be just fine. While many municipal golf courses or lower-priced courses allow denim, most upscale courses require collared shirts and have a strict no-denim policy. According to Gentleman’s Gazette, some basic guidelines for women include:
- Shirts must have collars and shorts just above the knee are acceptable
- Only wear long ankle & trainer socks
- Refrain from wearing crop tops, strappy tops, t-shirts, and blue denim
Attire expectations for men include:
- Shirts must be tucked in and have collars, mock collars, or sleeves
- Only sport knee-length tailored shorts or long trousers
- Try to wear only long ankle & trainer socks
- Only wear golf shoes
- Refrain from wearing beach shorts, untucked shirts, t-shirts, vests, football shirts, or blue denim
Tips For Choosing Designer Golf Clothing
Choosing the right designer golf clothing will depend on your style, the weather, and your goal for the game. If you’re playing with close friends, you might dress a bit more casually than if you were meeting prospective clients. Here are a few tips according to Gentleman’s Gazette on how to build a classic wardrobe that looks as stunning as it performs.
- Sport one garment per outfit in a bright color or a bold pattern
- Avoid monotone combinations and non-traditional patterns
- On colder days, wear traditional layers like sweaters and sweater vests
- Pair golf pants and shorts with a belt that matches your shoes
- Look for performance-enhancing features, like our 37.5 Technology
If you’re looking to build your wardrobe or add to your collection, then check out our innovative X-Series, Core Series, and Classic Series lines to get the best high-end golf apparel on the market, and contact us today with any questions you may have.